Friday, April 2, 2010

Get Sketchy #32-Thanks a Bunch


Have you noticed that there are flowers everywhere in papercrafting? Not just flower stickers or die-cuts, but some REALLY creative handmade flowers? I love the layered look, so the flowers made by layering lots of crinkly, distressed paper circles really caught my eye. I had seen directions for making them in several magazines, but couldn't get the look I wanted. Finally, after a little trial-and-error, I came up with a technique that I really like, which I used on the card above.

First, I cut several circles out of patterned paper scraps. It really doesn't matter what the patterns are, as long as the colors coordinate. I cut five different sizes of circles from Cosmo Cricket's Girl Friday collection. Then, using the edge of my scissors, I distressed the edges of the circles. To bend them into the shape that I wanted, I took each circle and "smushed" it over the tip of my finger. I did this a couple of times with each circle, until it was all nice and crinkly-looking. Finally, I layered the circles all together, used my paper piercer to poke a hole down through all of the layers, and inserted a big brad. I then used a Glue Dot to adhere the whole flower to the front of my card. The soft fuzzy leaves are actually ribbon from May Arts, one of this week's sponsors over at Get Sketchy.

I hope you will all play along with us this week! You can see the challenge and all of the team's beautiful cards HERE.

2 comments:

~amy~ said...

lovin' your girl friday card...sooooo sweet!

Diane Jaquay said...

This is so cute and colorful; LOVE that flower!