Friday, January 22, 2010

An elegant birthday card


I made this birthday card for my mother-in-law. At first, I didn't think this was my usual style. After all, it doesn't feature any cute little critters! But looking at each of the details, I can definitely see where it's got my own little touches.

For example, it features a mix of patterned papers. If you're not confident about mixing patterns, go with coordinating papers from the same manufacturer/line. That's what I did here. I've used three different patterned papers, all from Cosmo Cricket. They work well together because one has a bold print (the cream floral on the bottom) while the other two have more subtle, tone-on-tone prints. These subtle patterns work as solids, but with a little "oomph." Love the "oomph".

Next, it features some 3D elements. The chipboard label is from Technique Tuesday, and it makes a great accent when inked and stamped. The gray border is also 3D, as it is pleated and stand just slightly above the rest of the card. Very easy to make-just start with a 12" long piece of patterned paper, then score and fold at regular intervals for a polished, formal look. Or, for a fun look, fold at random intervals.

Finally, it has ribbon, sewing and stickles, three things that I find I use constantly on my projects. The ribbon is stitched along the front of the card using little loops of orange thread, which worked well with the coral patterned paper. Kind of spiced it up a bit, I think, but in an elegant way. I left the ribbon extending beyond the edge of the card. I've been doing that a lot lately-adds a little personality. And of course I added stickles! My collection of colors keeps growing. They're the perfect touch for cards-they add sparkle and personality without bulk.

Hope you enjoyed this card. I've got lots more to share soon!

No comments: