Friday, June 5, 2009

Stamp Kissing, Pumpkin Scones and Prom


First I want to share a simple little "hello" card I made for my husband's Aunt Lois. I saw her last weekend-such a sweet lady and an incredible cook. She made yummy Lemon Biscotti. I told her about an easy and yummy Pumpkin Scone recipe. She asked for it, so I am sending it out to her in this card. (The recipe is listed further down in this post, if you want to try it, too. I believe it was originally in Quick Cooking magazine.)

For my card, I wanted to try playing around with background stamps again. (It is this week's challenge over on the Hero Arts blog.) I first inked my Meadow Petals stamp with Ice Blue chalk ink. Then I "kissed" an uninked stamp (a flourish from the Artistic Windows set) to the image before stamping it onto white cardstock. This removed some of the ink, creating a swirled flourish pattern on the stamped image. Then I just stamped the coordinating flower (A Real Violet) over the background image using Blue Iris and Olive Green chalk inks. I distressed the edges of both the white cardstock and the blue mat with my fingernail, creating kind of a watercolor paper look. I thought this was a nice touch, since the "kissing" technique created a watercolor effect as well.

On another note, there is excitment in our house today: my dd is going to her first prom! Her eighth-grade prom (how crazy is that?) is tonight. I'll be taking tons of pictures to share!

Pumpkin Scones: In a large bowl, combine 2 cups flour, 7 Tbsp. sugar, 2 tsp. baking powder, 1 tsp. cinnamon, 1/2 tsp. salt, 1/2 tsp. ginger, and 1/4 tsp. baking soda. Cut in 4 Tbsp. cold butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. In a small bowl, combine 1 egg, lightly beaten, 1/4 cup canned pumpkin, and 1/4 cup sour cream; stir into crumb mixture just until moistened. Turn onto a floured surface; knead 10 times. Pat into an 8-inch circle. cut into eight wedges. Separate wedges and place on a greased baking sheet. Melt 1 Tbsp. butter; brush over dough. Sprinkle with 1 Tbsp. sugar. Bake at 425 degrees for 15-20 minutes. Serve warm.

Enjoy!

No comments: